Bruce Irving: My Hardware Articles
Article by Bruce Irving.
- Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D USB (with twist grip disabled)
- CH Products Pro Pedals (also USB)
- I also have the CH FlightSim Yoke LE (USB), which in theory is the ideal thing for general aviation sims, but I've given up on it for the moment, because I found that the plastic shaft doesn't give solid pitch control (it slips a bit).
I've also used a microphone with Game Commander to add voice control to some sims, especially JF-18 (when LSO says call the ball, you can actually call the ball!).
I never had much luck with gamecard controls... always too jittery... but USB
devices are working real well for me these days, and most recent sims
support connecting and configuring multiple controllers through Win98.
The hardware... not a cutting edge system by any means.
That's what we like - "reality based" test beds!
- Celeron 400 MHz
- 192 MB RAM
- 20 GB hard drive
- 40X CD-ROM
- 56K modem
- 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI
- 17 inch monitor
- Soundblaster PCI512 sound card
- tiny but good-sounding Labtec speakers with a subwoofer