Exhibit - Birds of Prey
Amiga versionThe full list of aircraft and weapons was :
NATO and ALLIES
- BAe HAWK Mk.66 ( odd choice, as the Mk.66 is the version used by the Swiss Air Force )
- BAe HARRIER GR.Mk3 ( the only mistake on this one was that it was given an afterburning Pegasus engine! )
- BOEING B-52H STRATOFORTRESS ( you could carry 100 Mk82 slicks in the bomb bay plus extra on pylons under the wings! )
- BOEING 747-400 JUMBO JET ( not really sure why this one was included, but you could go on one really long recce flight with this one...)
- DASSAULT MIRAGE F.1E ( really nimble little performer in a dogfight, but they forgot the wingtip missile rails! )
- DASSAULT RAFALE-A ( a bit non-descript really, it was OK at everything, but not outstanding )
- FAIRCHILD A-10A THUNDERBOLT ( awesome weapons carrying ability - and that gun!!! )
- GD F-111 AARDVARK ( possible overkill on the internal weapons bay capacity - 58 Mk82's!! )
- GD F-16C FALCON ( everything we have come to know and love about F-16's - agile, fast and impressive weapons fit )
- GRUMMAN F-14A+ TOMCAT ( this was just superb when loaded up with the AIM54 Phoenix AAM )
- GRUMMAN X-29 ( combat performance similar to the Rafale- OK, but nothing to write home about )
- LOCKHEED C-130H-30 HERCULES ( doing cargo drops and delivering paratroops was unique - an excellent idea to include it in a sim! )
- LOCKHEED F-104S STARFIGHTER ( what a cracker - this one was GOOD! )
- LOCKHEED SR-71 BLACKBIRD ( Mach3 on the edge of space - catch me if you can!! )
- LOCKHEED TR-1A ( the leisurely way to photograph the enemy! )
- LOCKHEED F-177A ( another overkill on the bomb bay capacity - 16 Mk82's! You also had the option of underwing pylons for Paveway LGB's. However, using just the internal stores, you were stealthy, and the enemy had real trouble getting missiles to track you properly...)
- McDONNELL DOUGLAS F-4 PHANTOM II ( To put it simply - the best of the bunch. There was nothing you felt you couldn't take on when at the controls of the F-4!! )
- McDONNEL DOUGLAS F-15E STRIKE EAGLE ( Another awesome performer )
- McDONNELL DOUGLAS KC-10A EXTENDER ( another not sure why it's here aircraft as far as flying it yourself, but at least if your wingmen flew it, you could re-fuel from them. )
- McDONNELL DOUGLAS F/A-18A HORNET ( I think this one could carry just about everything in the inventory )
- NA X-15A ( Mach6.69 at 250,000ft was quite a ride.... )
- NORTHROP F-5E TIGER II ( quick and nimble in a dogfight - this has got to be one of the sexiest looking fighters ever! )
- NORTHROP F-20A TIGERSHARK ( the big brother of the F-5E, and as such I found it less manoeuvrable although slightly longer ranged )
- NORTHROP B-2 ( the stealth bomber - pretty much the same as the F-117, only bigger and less agile, and no external stores )
- PANAVIA TORNADO F.Mk3 ( as per the real thing - very fast at low level, but nothing spectacular elsewhere )
- ROCKWELL B-1B LANCER ( the only sad thing about this was no cruise missiles, only freefall bombs!! )
- SAAB JAS-39 GRIPEN ( definitely superior to the Rafale in this sim )
A-A MISSILES: AIM-9P, MAGIC R.550, AIM-7M, AIM-120A, AIM-132 ASRAAM, AIM-54A, SKYFLASH.
A-G MISSILES: AGM-88A, AGM-65, AGM-114 HELLFIRE, DURANDAL, BULLPUP, AGM-84A HARPOON, AM.39 EXOCET, SEA EAGLE, MBB KORMORAN, WASP.
BOMBS: Mk82, Mk83, Mk84, PAVEWAY LGB, Mk20 ROCKEYE II, BLG66 BELOUGA.
- An-124 CONDOR ( very big, very slow - what else? )
- MiG-21Bis FISHBED-N ( great little dogfighter hampered by small warload )
- MiG-23 FLOGGER-G ( AIM-9 fodder carrying AAMs! )
- MiG-25 FOXBAT-E ( the only way you could hope to catch the SR-71 )
- MiG-27 FLOGGER-J ( AIM-9 fodder carrying bombs! )
- MiG-29 FULCRUM-A ( surprisingly nothing special - out performed 100% by the Su-27 )
- Su-21 FLAGON-F ( zoom - zoom! )
- Su-24 FENCER-D ( good all round on the air-ground )
- Su-25 FROGFOOT ( you really had to pray to God that you would take-off in this one - even when it was empty! )
- Su-27 FLANKER-B ( just superb, without doubt, the best you could fly in the Red Team )
- Tu-95 BEAR-G ( this felt big when you flew it - and the sound of those engines Wow! Great fun when loaded with Kitchen or Kingfish missiles )
- Tu-26 BACKFIRE-B ( great for a bit of high-speed, low level long range attacking )
- Yak-38 FORGER-A ( pretty poor, but a better choice than a Flogger!! )
A-A MISSILES: ATOLL, ANAB, ACRID, APEX, APHID, AMOS, ALAMO, ARCHER.
A-G MISSILES: KITCHEN, KINGFISH, KERRY, KYLE, KEDGE.
BOMBS: 227kg, 454kg, 903kg.
MiGMan thanks Rob "Bomber" Henderson for these recollections.