Exhibit: Fighters Anthology (1998)
Vietnam Campaign Guide
Vietnam Mission 04
Armed Recon Interdiction Strike
DATE: May 12th, 1972
Weather: Cloud Cover
Aircraft: F-4J Phantom II
MiGMan's Combat Diary
Mission Map: Set Waypoints A, B, E to one altitude somewhere between 16 and 25,000 ft. Having too many different altitudes in a flight plan only unnecessarily complicates matters. The actual patrol sector is very short, about 3 miles. This mission profile is actually a point-to-point interdiction. At waypoint F set alt to 3,000 feet (below the cloud cover).
Load Ordnance: Load Rocket Pods and Snakeye's. You shouldn't need the external fuel tanks.
Approaching Waypoint C:
- activate Ground Radar Shift-R
- open the target window Shift-4
- search for the mission targets.
- There is heavy cloud cover at the target, so plan to attack and manoeuver below 5,000 ft.
- Remember to jink as you come off the target as there is plenty of AAA around.
- Landmarks such as the karst outcrops North of Haiphong are good aids to navigation.
- At waypoint G tell your wingman to "Bug out" Alt-B and follow him in to land at a 1/2 to 1 mile interval.