Exhibit: Strike Aces / Fighter Bomber (1989)
Publisher: Activision and Accolade
Platform: Atari ST, Commodore Amiga and PC
Comments: The sim was set in a bombing competition inspired by Gen. Curtis LeMay's training events. It featured an unusual mix of flyable aircraft: F-4 Phantom , F-15E Strike Eagle, F-111 Aardvark, MiG-27 Flogger, RAF and Luftwaffe Tornado and the Saab Viggen.
How's this for a mission brief :
- All enemy targets must be destroyed.
- You start with low internal fuel
- Due to length of mission, you may require air-air refuelling twice.
- Pick up secret plans from specified airport on Rwy36 or Rwy36L and deliver them to other specified airport
- Fly down the 'tunnel of death' and also destroy all SAM's in the 'tunnel'.
- Land back at base on any Rwy.
- Warning, a 10min timer may start at any time during the mission - the mission must be completed before the timer stops.
Tough enough ???
This was the sort of challenge posed by Activision's 1990 Strike Aces or Fighter Bomber.
Gun camera video
- F-4 Phantom - F-4 Phantom II
- F-15E Strike Eagle
- F-111 Aardvark in profile
- MiG-27 Flogger - MiG-27 Flogger
- RAF and Luftwaffe Tornado
- Saab Viggen - Saab Viggen AJ-37
Tornado Flight Test
Commodore Amiga version
Missions - Covert and Tactical
Missions - Strategic
Missions - Offensive
Title screen - Title Screen - 02
Aircraft ID screen
Tornado flight model
Air to Air
Air to Ground