Exhibit: Tornado (1993)
Release Date: 1993
Platform: PC DOS, AMIGA
Host sim: Self
Designers: Dave Marshall and Rod Swift.
Publisher: Digital Integration
In collection: Yes
Comments: One of the all-time classic flight sims. The training missions covered every aspect of operating the Tornado and you were wise to work your way through them... this sim gave you more opportunities to "buy the farm" than most! Player aircraft were Tornado IDS (Interdiction/Strike) and Tornado ADV (Air Defense Variant).
From the moment the game booted into the gorgeous SVGA menu screens you knew this was going to be a special experience. For a start, your typical mission profile involved flying a barely subsonic speeds at 200 feet altitude, threading your way past fighter patrols and SAMs and then flying over the enemy's most heavily defended assets.... his airbase. If you are interested in the world of low level strike aircraft such as the Tornado or F-111 you can't go past this sim. The training missions covered every aspect of operating the Tornado and you were wise to work your way through them..... this sim gave you more opportunities to "buy the farm" than most!
- MiGMan's Playlist
- Operation Desert Storm: mission planning and execution
- Strike Mission (flight)
- Soundtrack music by David Punshon
- Commodore Amiga version (lots of enviromental objects)
- JP-233 attack done right 1/2 (Tom N)
- JP-233 attack done right 2/2 (Tom N)
- Landing on a road (Tom N)
- Tornado stunts, takeoff, looping, stalling, landing with touch and go (Tom N)
- Take out two EWR stations (Frankie Kam)
- Strike mission | shooting a Hind | Su-27 attack
- Walks through loft and toss Bombing with keystrokes (Frankie Kam)
- Video playlist: 'Panavia Tornado Best Of Youtube' by Frankie Kam
- Video playlist: 'Digital Integration's Tornado PC Flight Simulator ' by Frankie Kam
Hardware and O/S requirements
|1990's||IBM PC DOS||It ran very smoothly on a 486.|
|2000||Win 98||I couldn't get the sim to run properly under Windows 98.;|
|2016||iDOS app under IOS||Running Tornado under iDOS|
"For an update to happen, the game will have to be re-written from the ground up using C or something higher than the original 16-bit (real-mode) assembly language. Even with the game source code now available, it is very difficult to find anyone willing to spare the time and effort to extend the game." ?-
Tornado: Snap Views
Click the pictures for a bigger image.
|Back Left: n/a||Back: n/a||Back right: n/a|
The Tornado has a has a comprehensive Terrain Following Radar suite (TFR) which keeps you off the ground most of the time.