Sabres over Korea: Korean War campaign for Microsoft Combat Sim 1 Sabres over Korea: Korean War campaign for Microsoft Combat Sim 1 Sabres over Korea: Korean War campaign for Microsoft Combat Sim 1
Exhibit:Sabres over Korea

Mission Name SABRE 003: Strike
A/c F-86F Sabre
Briefing Date: December 1952
Time: 1200
Airfield: Sokcho-ri
A/c: F-86F Sabre
" Destroy the Radar towers at T'ong'chon. Photo recon shows
  • two radar masts
  • control building
  • four AAA batteries
Be careful of MiG patrols. "
MiGMan's Combat Diary It was a nice clear day with minimal cloud cover as we took off and headed North.

Click for a bigger image

The rockets fitted to my F-86 did a good job on the control building and radar towers. FLAK was present but not overwhelming.

Click for a bigger image

Having satisfied the mission goals I headed off to the next waypoint then homewards. My wingmen had dropped behind and I was contemplating turning back to find them when they started calling "MiGs - MiGs !!".

Sure enough there were 3 MiG-15's mixing it up with my crew. I joined the fray and got a few good shots off - well they were good except that I didn't hit anything ! OK... I got off a few stylish but ineffectual shots.

I was lining up for another volley - 300 yards... 150 yards.... then whack whack whack ! Messages like "Aileron control cable damage" started scrolling up the display. Looking around the cockpit showed puffs of smoke from the fuselage. I could only coax 270 knots out of the bird and the controls were very sluggish.

Not good.

I should have headed home then and there - but, not thinking clearly, I elected to hang around. I thought I'd be safe trundling along at 200 feet altitude. A fighter pilot is always reluctant to point the nose at the ground - or so Fighter Combat - Tactics and Manoeuvering by Robert Shaw says.

Obviously the MiG drivers hadn't read from the same book as to my amazement one of them clipped me again - at 200 feet - and in an almost head on pass !

Still, my wallowing antics distracted the MiG's enough os that my wingmen finished them off in fairly short order. Still a bit befuddled I continued South along the planned route - albeit at a safer altitude. About 30 miles from base I came to my senses, turned on the ADF and headed directly home.

Maybe the cold air streaming in through the bullet holes in my canopy blew some sense into me as I elected to land in a slow arc from the seaward approach rather than the usual steep approach down the mountainside.

A satisfying outing !

Gun camera footage