TR160 | Unpacking | Initial inspection | CAD
By late 2023 I had settled on the Trak Racer TR160 as my platform of choice for the Mk.VII.
I used TinkerCAD
to think about how I was going to mount the panels.
The plan was to:
- Get an MDF panel CnC cut as a prototype
- When happy with that, get the panel made in aluminium
Well, the arrival of my TR160 from Trak Racer put that plan on pause.
23 boxes of high quality kit.
The build quality and sturdiness of the TR160 components is above and beyond what I expected.
The TR160 mounting solutions are:
- Rugged, with hight structural integrity, far beyond what I had previously experienced in my home cockpit environment.
- Versatile in terms of attachment position in the pit
- Easily adjustable
- Far beyond what I could have designed. These guys have solved a lot of problems.
- Far cheaper in $$$
- Far cheaper in time
I look forward to using the bespoke mounting solutions from Trak Racer. The option of designing a custom instrument panel is by no means off the dance card, but much less likely.
That's how I feel now. Let's see how the process evolves!
Mk.VII mockups in TinkerCAD, based on the TR160 dimensions.
The final result will be quite a way from my 1992 effort: MiGPit Mk.I
. but you can see the connection!