Dudley Henriques : P-51 Mustang Engine Start
Almost everything on the -51 is automatic after it's checked and set for flight.
We had an electric primer that was VERY sensitive, instead of the old push-in-and-lock type. The Merlin will usually take only a few seconds of primer before it loads up. The mixture is automatic through a high altitude mixture aneroid through all flight ranges.
You start the engine by using the five hands you immediately wish God had given you the instant you engage the starter.
- Hold the starter with your right hand
- start counting six blades as they pass
- at six you throw the mags to both with your left hand
- hit the fuel boost pump switch on the left of the starter with your right hand
- this requires a finger shift while holding the starter engaged
- now hit the electric primer to the right of the starter with another finger switch of the right
- NOW, remember not to over-prime the damn Merlin
- as it fires, reach and push the mixture up into " NORMAL"
Congratulations...you have now STARTED the Mustang!!!!
Back to P-51 Mustang checklists